Servings: 4-6 Cooking Time: 10 min
5 lbs (2.25 kg) fresh PEI mussels
14 ounce (400 mL) can of pineapple chunks in juice
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (125 mL) sweet and sour sauce
- Rinse fresh PEI mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Strain pineapples, reserving the juice. Set the pineapple aside.
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, combine the pineapple juice and peppers. Bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and cover with a lid. Turn the heat to high and cook until steam pours out from under the lid and the shells are open, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 1 minute. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Pour in the reserved pineapples and sweet and sour sauce. Stir mussels well to coat and serve. For a complete meal, served with steamed rice.