5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
1 cup (250 mL) sliced red onion
1 cup (250 mL) chopped scallions
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dried thyme
1 pinch salt & pepper
3 clove garlic, chopped
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Steam mussels in steamer for approximately 6 minutes.
- Place in bowl and let cool. Remove the mussels from the shells. Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Add red onion and scallions and let stand for 1 hour.
- Pour marinade over mussels in bowl several times to evenly coat mussels. Mussels should soak in marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, pour a little of the marinade over mussels. Serve alone or add to pasta salad or green salad.